Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Assignment 3 Results

Thanks to all who participated in Assignment 3. Please critique each others artwork. Critiquing other artwork will help reinforce the principles of the assignment and help you have a better artistic eye.


Results:

Artist name: Jason
Location: Japan
Title of piece: 'Blue Bird'
Medium: Pencil and watercolor
Dimensions: 217mmx272 (sketchbook)







Artist: Haleigh Ashby from Provo, Utah
Titled: "lighthouse"
Medium and Dimensions: 8" x 10" - acrylic using only palette knife
(has shadow of arm from photograph)






Artist: Rett Ashby from Provo, Utah
Titled: “Midday Color "
Medium and Dimensions: 12" x 13.5" - Oil





Artist: Karleigh Jae Heywood, Rexburg, Idaho
Titled: high key study
Medium: Graphite on Beckett Expression Eucalyptus Paper- 12.5" x 19"

1 comment:

KarleighJae said...

A good way of determining whether you stayed within the assignment limits of the "7-10" value scale, is to take your photograph of your artwork and change it to black and white on your computer. By doing this, you can more easily see the distinction of the values.

It is easy to mistake "bright" color for "light". I think, Haleigh, in your case, you really should try doing the color palette beforehand and stick to it. Instead of starting out dark and trying to go lighter, try starting out as light as possible. Your piece is leaning more midkey once it's turned into black and white. Try squinting at your painting with your eyes to help remove the color and see the values more. Remember that bright doesn't mean light. I like your composition and all the texture in the painting. Try adding some highlights maybe of pure white and see how it will make your painting come alive.

Dad (Rett), I think I'll leave others to critique your work and then I'll come back to it later.

Jason, I first thought you had also used too bright of a color thinking it was light. But when looking at it in black and white, It's definitely high key. Most often, I've seen high key artwork done with more complex drawings/paintings/objects. But I like your use of simplicity as it isn't seen often in high key artwork. I'm glad you've come back and hope to see more of your work.

As for mine. I really should have used pastels or something other than graphite on the eucalyptus background. Or used a different paper (preferably white). It was a good exercise for me though because I tend to draw too dark.

Thanks again to those who participated. I'd love to hear all of your critiques.