Monday, September 22, 2008

Assignment 14: Artist and technique research

If you haven't noticed...this post was not on time as it was due this morning. However, I have been trying to decide what to do this next week and nothing seemed to feel just right so it's taken me all day to decide on this next week's assignment.

I've heard many artist's (including my dad) say that when creating a style or trying to do anything in art, I should take a look at other artists that I like. This next week's assignment is to find your 5 favorite artists. When looking at their artwork, list the things you most like about their style. Write the list down!! Try and find at least 3 things you like about each of the artists.

For example: One of my favorite artists is Marc Chagall. The three things I most like about his artwork are

#1: The bright bold colors he uses. He was not afraid of using color.
#2: The purpose of his artwork. All his artwork had a meaning or some type of symbolism in it. I love symbolism and this is one of the things I most like about his artwork.
#3: It's not all perfectly realistic. People have weird colored skin and arms longer then they should. Two left feet or houses that are drawn in complete misproportion. He's able to do this though because of consistency. All the houses are drawn in the same proportions even if they are all oddly shaped and have incorrect perspective. The consistency makes this work.



By next Monday, Sept 29th please turn in your list of 15 favorite things from your 5 favorite artists. No need to email it to me, please just leave it in the comments section here when you have your completed list. No artwork will be due until the beginning of October but we will use this list next week as we do our artwork so, if you'd like to get started, pick 3 out of the list to incorporate in your artwork and each must be from a different artist. Please spend some time on your list as I think it would invaluable to your artwork in the future.

I'm hoping that this list will help us share a little of our knowledge about artists and technique as well as help us understand our own approach to our artwork a little better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My 5 favorite artists

1. Richard Schmid
a. his houses are part of the landscape, growing out of the ground, not placed on top.
B. painterly qualities, he knows his art principles well, and uses them
c. color, I guess he is a tonalist?

2 Michael Workman
a. composition
b. use of color
c. simplicity

3 John Carlson
a. Perspective, both aerial and linear
b. movement of the land, it goes up and down and around
c. solidity of his subject matter. like mountains, trees and houses.

4 Burton Silverman
a. excellent at his focal points
b. I like the way he fades his figures out, especially in the drawings
c. Casual poses in his drawings

5 I don't know, Andrew Wyeth, Rembrandt, Winslow Homer
just because they are good. Wyeth and Homer are more illustrators and I don't want to go that direction, but I really admire their work.